- Authored by: Beijia Zhang
- Event: 2018 National Access Management Conference Wisconsin
Access Management to Reduce Wrong-Way (WWD) Driving on Alabama Divided Highways
A divided highway is considered as a highway with physical separation, and the side streets are its access points in this study.
WWD crashes are more possible than other kinds crashes to result in fatal or incapacitating injuries. The majority of previous studies are focused on freeways instead of divided highways.
112 WWD crashes were identified in Alabama divided highways from 2009 to 2013.
18 WWD crashes were identified to have confirmed entry points.
4 Case Studies in Alabama
- Driveways with a Close Median Opening
- Poor Front Access Control
- Lack of Backage Road Connection
- Limit Sight Distance