Research | 2013
Back-in/Head Out Angle Parking
- Published by: Nelson/Nygaard Consulting Associates, Inc.
Nelson/Nygaard Consulting Associates. Back-in/Head Out Angle Parking, San Francisco, CA (2005)
This report discusses the design and benefits of back-in/head-out angle parking and reviews examples of where the design has been implemented. Benefits noted include:
- The driver can drive forward out of the stall and has a better view of oncoming traffic when exiting
- Parking stalls for disabled can be placed near existing curb ramps and allow driver to unload out of the way of traffic
- Improved driver safety when unloading or loading a trunk
- Improved safety for bicyclists using the roadways. The driver is able to see the cyclist easily when exiting the stall. Several cities where back-in angle parking has been implemented have seen a reduction in number of accidents compared to the number of accidents at regular parallel parking schemes.