- Published by: South Africa Committee of Transport Officials
TRH 26 South African Road Classification and Access Management Manual
Technical Recommendations for Highways:
The Technical Recommendations for Highways consists of a series of publications that describe recommended practice for various aspects related to highway engineering. The documents are based on South African research and experience and have the support and approval of the Committee of Transport Officials (COTO). The documents are primarily aimed at ensuring uniform practice throughout South Africa.
This manual provides guidance to National, Provincial and Municipal spheres of government on the functional classification of roads and the methodology according to which such classification must be undertaken. It also gives guidance on how a road must be managed in order to function effectively in accordance with its classification.
This manual establishes a uniform and integrated classification system for the country, which will underpin and inform the planning, development and management of roads. It includes the following important aspects:
- The benefits of functional road classification and access management;
- The functional classification system according to which roads are classified;
- The methodology according to which such classification must be undertaken;
- Management requirements (access management) to ensure that the various authorities’ roads can function as intended; and
- Retrofit measures that can be implemented in situations where roads are not serving their intended function.
In summary, this manual provides detailed descriptions, explanations and methodologies to determine the functional classification of a road as well as manage accesses in the road system.
TMH 16 South African Traffic Impact and Site Traffic Assessment Manual Volume 1
TMH 16 South African Traffic Impact and Site Traffic Assessment Standards and Requirements Manual Volume 2
TRH 27 South African Manual for Permitting Services in Road Reserves