- Authored by: Frank Broen
See how states tell their performance story with visualizations that resonate with their audience.
Telling meaningful data-based performance stories is more than just reporting data.
- Effectively communicate a clear story that brings data to life for its intended audience.
- Dashboards can tell a story that enables collaboration.
- A few dedicated people can transform data into performance stories.
This synthesis showcases hundreds of examples from around the country. Some key success factors include:
- Keep it simple. Use line, bar, and pie charts with a title that tells the story.
- Make data transparent. Accurate, consistent information builds trust over time.
- Connect to the audience. Deliver information they can use.
- Tell a clear story. Visualizations reinforce the story that will be remembered.
Although the synthesis reports on highway performance measures, the lessons learned can be applied to any visualization used to tell a story.